About the Workshop
This intensive hands-on lab/lecture-based workshop is for meat, poultry and fish processors and related businesses that are involved in value added and/or quality enhancement of muscle food products through marination. Industry and academia experts will conduct the informational sessions. Participants of Marination 101 will gain basic knowledge of muscle/meat chemistry, basic marination techniques and methodologies, and ingredient performance. Participants will have various hands-on laboratory exercises that complement the materials presented. The knowledge gained from this workshop will assist in yield improvements, quality/safety enhancement, and overall product development issues in numerous applications.
Topics of Marination 101 Workshop include:
- Enhancing Under-Utilized Cuts of Meat and Poultry
- Coating and Breading Principles
- Hands-on Laboratory Sessions and Demonstrations
- Salt and Salt Alternatives
- Meat Chemistry
- Marinades and Calculations
- Campus Tour
- Facility Tours
- BBQ and Blues Dinner
Individuals involved in the processing of meat, poultry, fish, and seafood products - particularly production, research and development, quality assurance, or other technical personnel.
Registration is closed. For questions, contact Courtney Crist at 662-325-0852.
We encourage those interested in attending the workshop to make hotel reservations soon due to other major campus activities that may occur. Some of the major local hotels include:
Preferred Hotel with Room Block - Ask for Marination 101 Rate
- Coutyard by Marriott - (662) 338-3116
- Hilton Garden Inn - (662) 615-9664 (Group code is MFS)
- La Quinta Inn - (662) 270-4100 (Ask for Marination 101 Rate)
- Hampton Inn - (662) 324-1333 (Ask for Marination 101 Rate)
- Holiday Inn Express - (662) 324-0076
- Comfort Suites - (662) 324-9595
Air Service is available to the following airports:
- Golden Triangle Regional (GTR) - 15 miles*
- Tupelo (TUP) - 60 miles
- Jackson (JAN) - 120 miles
- Birmingham (BHM) - 150 miles
- Memphis (MEM) - 164 miles
* Shuttle service will ONLY be provided to/from Golden Triangle Regional (GTR) Airport in Columbus, MS
The Marination 101 Workshop would not be what it is without our generous sponsors. Please let us know if your company is interested in sponsoring Marination 101 through a donation, donating demonstration/laboratory items, and/or providing food for breaks. We greatly appreciate and thank our past sponsors for their support!
Questions? Ideas? Feedback?
The Marination 101 Workshop team is always open to questions, ideas, and feedback. We value and appreciate your input to improve Marination 101.
Contact Us for More Information
Courtney Crist - 662.325.0852
Byron Williams - 662.769.9751
Tom Healey - 724.799.0402
Bruce Crist - 706.346.3906