Faculty & Staff
T.J. Kim, PhD
Assistant Research Professor
Office: 151 Herzer
- Ph.D. - Food Science and Technology, Minor in Biochemistry, Emphasis in Food Microbiology/Safety, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Mississippi State University, 2003
- M.S. - Food Science and Technology, Emphasis in Food Microbiology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Mississippi State University, 1999
- B.E. - Food Engineering, College of Engineering, Daegu University, South Korea, 1995
- FNH 4414/6414, BIO 4414/6414: Microbiology of Foods
- Development of rapid and easy-to-use detection kits on foodborne pathogens
- Bacterial attachment strength on food processing surfaces
- Optimization for detection, recovery and quantification of stressed/injured foodborne pathogen
- From farm to fork tracking of pathogen contamination by molecular typing (PFGE)
- Microbial ecology study (DGGE)
- Analysis of natural bio-active ingredients (HPLC, Mass, NMR)
- Synthesis of novel antioxidant/antimicrobial compounds under green processing
- Shelf life expectation on fresh and frozen foods (Microbial/Rancimat test)
- Enhancing microbiological safety and quality on agricultural products by using non-thermal processing (ultraviolet irradiation, ozone technology and antimicrobial compounds)
- International Association for Food Protection
- Institute of Food Technologists
- Phi Tau Sigma, Honorary Society of Food Science
Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications (*corresponding author)
- Parakulsuksatid P., Dja Shin Wang D.S., Silva J.L., Kim T.J. and Koo T.Y. 2012. Optimization of Enzymatic Skinning on Catfish Nuggets Using Response Surface Methodology. Advanced Materials Research. 472:3094-3103.
- T.J. Kim*, J.L. Silva, and Y.S. Jung. 2011. Enhanced functional properties of tannic acid after thermal hydrolysis.Food Chemistry. 126:116-120.
- T.J. Kim*, M. Corbitt, and J.L. Silva. 2011. Optimization of hot water processing for removing microbial biofilm on fresh blueberry surface. Journal of Food Science. 76:M353-M360.
- S. Kin, M.W. Schilling, B.S. Smith, J.L. Silva, T.J. Kim, S. Campano, A.J. Pham. 2011. Potassium acetate and potassium lactate enhance the microbiological and physical properties of marinated catfish fillets. Journal of Food Science. 76:S242-S250.
- R. Pyla, T.J. Kim, J.L. Silva, and Y.S. Jung. 2011. Proteome analysis of Azotobacter vinelandii ΔarrF mutant that overproduces poly-β-hydroxybutyrate polymer. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. 88:1343-54.
- T.J. Kim*, J.L. Silva, M.G. Kim and Y.S. Jung. 2010. Enhanced antioxidant capacity and antimicrobial activity of tannic acid by thermal processing. Food Chemistry. 118:740-746.
- T.J. Kim*, W. L. Weng, J. L. Silva*, and D. Marshall. 2010. Identification of Natural Antimicrobial Substances in Red Muscadine Juice against Enterobacter sakazakii. Journal of Food Science. 75:M150-M154.
- B.Y. Chen, R. Pyla, T.J. Kim, J. L. Silva, and Y.S. Jung. 2010. Incidence and persistence of Listeria monocytogenes in catfish processing environment and fresh fillets. Journal of Food Protection (in press)
- R. Pyla, T.J. Kim, J.L. Silva, and Y.S. Jung. 2010. Enhanced antimicrobial activity of starch-based film impregnated with thermally processed-tannic acid, a strong antioxidant. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 137: 154-160
- B.Y. Chen, R. Pyla, T.J. Kim, J. L. Silva, and Y.S. Jung. 2010. Prevalence and contamination patterns of Listeria monocytogenes in fresh catfish fillets and their processing plants. Food Microbiology. 27:645-52.
- B.Y. Chen, R. Pyla, T.J. Kim, J. L. Silva, and Y.S. Jung. 2010. Antibiotic resistance in Listeria species isolated from catfish fillets and processing environment. Letters in Applied Microbiology. 50:662-632.
- T.J. Kim*, J.L. Silva, W.L. Weng, W.W. Chen, M. Corbitt, Y.S. Jung and Y.S. Chen. 2009. Inactivation of Enterobacter sakazakii by water-soluble muscadine seed extracts. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 129:3295-3299.
- T.J. Kim*, J.L. Silva and Y.S. Jung. 2009. Antimicrobial activity of fresh and processed red muscadine juice and the role of their polar compounds on Escherichia coli O157:H7. Journal of Applied Microbiology. 107(2):533-539.
- S. Kin, M.W. Schilling, J.L. Silva, B.S. Smith, V. Jackson, T.J. Kim. Phosphate Type Affects the Quality of Injected Catfish Fillets. 2009. Journal of Food Science. 75: S74-S80.
- B.Y. Chen, T.J. Kim*, J.L. Silva, and Y.S. Jung*. 2009. Positive correlation between the expression of inlA and inlB genes on Listeria monocytogenes and its attachment strength on glass. Food Biophysics. 4: 304-311
- S. Kin, M.W. Schilling, J.L. Silva, B.S. Smith, V. Jackson, T.J. Kim. 2009. Effects of phosphate type on the quality of vacuum tumbled catfish fillets. Journal of Aquatic and Food Product Technology. 18:400-415.
- R. Pyla, T.J. Kim, J.L. Silva, and Y.S. Jung. 2009. Overproduction of poly-hydroxybutyrate in the Azotobacter vinelandii mutant that did not produce small RNA ArrF. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. 84:717-724.
- T.J. Kim*, W.L. Weng, J. Stojanovic, Y. Lu, Y. S. Jung and J. L. Silva. 2008. Antimicrobial effect of water-soluble muscadine seed extracts on Escherichia coli O157:H7. Journal of Food Protection. 71:1465-1468.
- V.D. Zheljazkov, J.L. Silva, M. Patel, J. Stojanovic, Y. Lu, and T.J. Kim. 2008. Uncomposted human hair as nutrient sources for horticultural crops. HortTechnology. 18 (4): 592-596.
- B.Y. Chen, T.J. Kim*, Y.S. Jung and J.L. Silva. 2008. Attachment strength of Listeria monocytogenes and its Internalin negative mutants. Food Biophysics. 3:329-332.
- T.J. Kim*, Y.S. Jung, J.L. Silva and S. Danviriyakul. 2007. Detection and rapid purification of internalin B as a protein marker in Listeria monocytogenes. Food Biotechnology. 21:161-168.
- D'Abramo, L., Silva, J.L. and T. Kim. 2009. Optimization of crustacean quality trough husbandry and adherence to post-harvest standards for processing. In Shellfish Safety and Quality, Part 3- Improving Crustacean Safety and Quality, S. Shumway (Ed.), Woodhead Publishing Limited (ISBN 1-84569-152-0)
- Silva, J.L. and T. Kim. 2003. Food Engineering Education. In the Encyclopedia of Agricultural, Food, and Biological Engineering, D. Heldman (Ed.), Marcel Dekker.