Faculty & Staff
J. Mike Martin, Ph.D.
Office: 4022 Wise Center
- Ph.D. Mississippi State University
- M.S. Mississippi State University
- B.S. Mississippi State University
- Food Plant Management (FNH 4153/6153)
- Food Packaging (FNH 4173/6173)
- Food Law (FNH 4333/6333)
- Meat's Processing (ADS/FNH 4314/6314)
- Meat's Judging (ADS/FNH 3142)
- Meat Science (ADS/FNH 8423)
- Performance Analysis of Meat Animals (Live and Carcass) (ADS 3213)
- New Food Product Development (FNH 4593)
Teaching and Research Interests
- Carcass and cut quality and yield evaluation as influenced by selection, management and feeding practices
- Value added muscle foods processing
- New muscle food product development
- Enhancement of food product safety
- American Meat Science Association
- Institute of Food Technologists
- American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists
- American Society of Animal Science
- American College of Animal Food Science
- Gamma Sigma Delta
- Phi Tau Sigma
- Martin, J.M., 2012. “Meat-Curing Technology.” Chapter 30, 531-546. Handbook of Meat and Meat Processing. 2nd edition, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL. Hui, Y.H., Editor.
- Lilly, R.A, M.W. Schilling, J.L. Silva, J.M. Martin and A. Corzo. 2011. The effects of dietary amino acid density in broiler feed on carcass characteristics and meat quality. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 20:56-67.
- Sykes, D.J., J.S. Couvillion, J.M. Martin, T.G. Althen, B.J. Rude, M. Crenshaw, P. Gerard and P.L. Ryan 2010. Comparison of ground raw soybean and soybean meal diets on carcass traits of gilts. J. Muscle Foods. 21: 509-518.
- Jackson, V., M.W.Schilling, S. Behrends, T.B. Schmidt, P.C. Coggins and J.M. Martin, 2009. Quality characteristics and storage stability of baked and fried chicken nuggets formulated with wheat and rice flour. J. Food Quality. 32(6):760-774.
- Pham, A.J., M.W. Schilling, W.B. Mikel, J.B. Williams, J.M. Martin and P.C. Coggins, 2008. Relationships between volatile flavor compounds, sensory descriptors, and consumer acceptability of American dry-cured ham. Meat Science. 80:728-737.
- Parish, J.A., J.D. Rhinehart and J.M. Martin 2008. Beef Quality and Yield Grades. Publication 2522 of Extension Service, Mississippi State University.
- Martin, J. M., 2007. “Beef Quality and Tainting”. Chapter 24, 327-331. Handbook of Meat, Poultry and Seafood Quality. Blackwell Publishing Ames, IA. Nollet, M. L. L., Editor.
- Wilbourn, J.A., M.W. Schilling, Martin, J.M. P.C. Coggins and T.A. Armstrong, 2007. Utilization of deionized water and non-meat adjuncts to improve the quality of chunked and formed boneless cured ham formulated with pale, soft, and exudative raw material. J. Muscle Foods. 18: 294-312.
- Herring, J.L., J.M. Martin, D. Hudson, L. Nalley and R.W. Rogers. 2007. Consumer acceptance of “farm-raised” pre-cooked roast beef. J. Food Quality. 30:403-412.
- Jackson, V., M.W. Schilling, P.C. Coggins and J.M. Martin. 2006. Utilization of rice starch in the formulation of low-fat, wheat-free, chicken nuggets. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 15(3):417-422.