Faculty & Staff
Juan L. Silva, Ph.D.
Office: 205 Herzer
- 1986 Ph.D. Mississippi State University
- 1983 M.S. Mississippi State University
- 1980 B.S. Mississippi State University
- 1977 Technologist in Chemical Processes IUT (Caracas, Venezuela)
- FST 4583: Food Preservation Technology - An introduction to preservation methods
- FST 4573: Food engineering Fundamentals - Basics of engineering applied to foods
- FST 8572: Advanced Food Technology - Non-thermal and other preservation/processing methods
- FST 4553: Current Issues in Food Science - Review of food science basics (correspondence)
- FST 4563: Food Products Evaluation - Review of evaluation methods for foods
- Processing and Quality Evaluation and Optimization of Foods
- Food Safety Systems Development and Evaluation
- Food Products Functionality
- Byproducts Utilization: food, feed, energy sources
- Aquaculture foods, fruits and vegetables, others
- Institute of Food Technologists
- Southern Association of Agricultural Scientists
- Council for Agricultural Science and Technology
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Kim, T.J., J.L. Silva, and Y.S. Jung. 2011. Enhanced functional properties of tannic acid after thermal hydrolysis. Food Chem. 118:740-746.
- Kin, S., Smith, B., Schilling, M.W., Silva, J.L. Kim, T., Pham, A., Campano, S.G. 2011. Potassium acetate and potassium lactate enhance the microbiological and physical properties of marinated catfish fillets, J Food Sci. 76:S242-250.
- Lilly, R.A., Schilling, M.W., Corzo, A., Silva, J.L., Martin, J.M. 2011. The Effects of dietary amino acid density in broiler feed on carcass characteristics and meat quality. J. Applied Poultry Res. 20:56-67.
- Chen, B.Y., R. Pyla, T.J. Kim, J. L. Silva, and Y.S. Jung. 2010. Antibiotic resistance in Listeria species isolated from catfish fillets and processing environment. Letters Appl Microbiol. 50: 662-632.
- Chen, B.Y., R. Pyla, T.J. Kim, J. L. Silva, and Y.S. Jung. 2010. Prevalence and contamination patterns of Listeria monocytogenes in fresh catfish fillets and their processing plants. Food Microbiol. 27: 645-52.
- Chen, Bang-Yuan, Payla, Rajkumar, Kim, Tae-jo, Silva, Juan L. and Jung, Yean-Sung. 2010. Incidence and Persistence of Listeria monocytogenes in catfish processing environment and fresh fillets. J. Food Prot. 73: 1641-50.
- Kim, Tae-Jo, Juan L. Silva, Angsana Tokitkla, and Frank B. Matta. 2010. Modified atmosphere storage influences quality parameters and shelf life of ‘Tifblue’ blueberries. J Miss Acad Sci. 55: 143-148.
- Kim, T.J., W. L. Weng, J. L. Silva, and D. Marshall. 2010. Identification of natural antimicrobial substances in red muscadine juice against Enterobacter sakazakii. J Food Sci. 75: M150-M154.
- Kim, T.J., W. L. Weng, and J. L. Silva. 2010. Identification of natural antimicrobial substances in red muscadine juice against Enterobacter sakazakii. J. Food Sci. 75: M150 - M154.
- Kim, T. J., J. L. Silva, M.K. Kim and Y.S. Jung. 2010. Enhanced antioxidant capacity and antimicrobial activity of tannic acid by thermal processing. Food Chem. 118:740-746.
- Kin, S., Schilling, MW, Smith, B.S., Silva, J.L., Jackson, V and Kim, T.J. 2010. Phosphate type affects the quality of injected catfish fillets. J. Food Sci. 75: S74-S80.
- Pyla, R., T.J. Kim, J.L. Silva, and Y.S. Jung. 2010. Proteome analysis of Azotobacter vinelandii ∆arrF mutant that overproduces poly-β-hydroxybutyrate polymer. Appl Microbiol Biot. 88: 1343-1354.
- Pyla, R., T.J. Kim, J.L. Silva, and Y.S. Jung. 2010. Enhanced antimicrobial activity of starch-based film impregnated with thermally processed-tannic acid, a strong antioxidant. Inter. J Food Microbiol. 137: 154-160.
- Chen, B-Y, Kim, Kim, T-J, Silva, J.L. and Jung, Y-S. 2009. Positive correlation between the expression of inlA and inlB genes of Listeria monocytogenes and its attachment strength on glass surface. Food Biophys. 4:304-311.
- D’ Abramo, L.R., JL Silva, T. Kim. 2009. Optimization of crustacean quality through husbandry and adherence to post-harvest standards for processing. Ch. 14. In Shellfish Safety and Quality, Shumway, S. and Rodrick, G. (Eds), Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, England. 608 pp.
- Kim, T.J., J.L. Silva and Y.S. Jung. 2009. Antimicrobial activity of fresh and processed red muscadine juice and the role of their polar compounds on Escherichia coli O157:H7. Journal of Applied Microbiology. 107(2):533-539.
- Kim, T.J., J. L. Silva, Y. S. Jung, W.W. Chen, W.L. Weng and M. Corbitt. 2009. Inactivation of Enterobacter sakazakii by Water-Soluble Muscadine Seed Extracts. Int J Food Microbiol. 129:295-299.
- Kin, Sovann and Juan L. Silva. 2009. Food Ingredients Affect off-flavor compounds in catfish fillets. VDM Verlag, Saarbrucken, Germany. 113 pp.
- Kin, S., Schilling, MW, Smith, B.S., Silva, J.L., Jackson, V and Kim, T.J. 2009. Effects of Phosphate Type on the Quality of Vacuum Tumbled Catfish Fillets. J. Aquatic Food Prod. Technol. 18: 400-415.
- Lopes, P.R.C., Silva, J.L. and Matta, F. 2009. Integrated Fruit Production – Enhancing Production, Quality and Safety of Fruit Production and Packing of Mango In Brazil as a Model. Int J Fruit Sci. 9:144-156.
- Panicker, G.K., C.A. Sims, J.M. Spiers, J.L. Silva, F.B. Matta. 2009. Effect of worm castings, cow manure, and forest waste on yield and fruit quality of organic blueberries grown on a heavy soil. Acta Hort. (ISHS) 841:581-584.
- Pyla, R., T.J. Kim, J.L. Silva, and Y.S. Jung. 2009. Overproduction of poly-β-hydroxybutyrate in the Azotobacter vinelandii mutant that did not produce small RNA ArrF. Applied Microb. Biotechnol. 84:717-724.
- Silva, Juan L., Phillips, Harold and Madrid, Raúl M. M. 2009. Post-harvest handling and processing. Ch. 18. In Freshwater Prawns: Biology and Farming. New Michael Bernard, Valenti, Wagner Cotroni, Tidwell, James H., D’Abramo, Louis R., Kutty, Methil Narayanan (Eds), Wiley-Blackwell, New York, pp. 400-419.
- Chen, B.Y., Kim, T.J., Jung, Y.S. and Silva, J.L. 2008. Attachment strength of Listeria monocytogenes and its internalin negative mutants. Food Biophysics Food Biophys. 3:329-332.
- Kim, T, W. L. Weng, J. Stojanovic, Y. Lu, Y. S. Jung and J. L. Silva. 2008. Antimicrobial Effect of Water-Soluble Muscadine Seed Extracts on Escherichia coli O157:H7. J Food Prot.71:1465-1468.
- Vielma, M. S., Matta, F.B., and Silva, J.L. 2008. Optimal harvest time of various apple cultivars grown in Northern Mississippi. J American Pomological Soc. 62 (1): 13-20.
- Zheljazkov, Valtcho D., Juan L. Silva, Mandar Patel, Jelena Stojanovic, Youkai Lu, Taejo Kim, and Thomas Horgan. 2008. Uncomposted Human Hair as Nutrient Sources for Horticultural Crops. HortTechnol. 18 (4): 592-596.
- Kim, T.J., Y. S. Jung, J. L. Silva and S. Danviriyakul. 2007. Detection and rapid purification of internalin B as a protein marker in Listeria monocytogenes. Food Biotechnol. 21: 161-168.
- Stojanovic, J. and J. L. Silva. 2007. Influence of osmotic concentration, continuous high frequency ultrasound and dehydration on antioxidants, color and chemical properties of rabbiteye blueberries. Food Chem. 101: 898-906.
- Laohakunjit, Natta, Kerdchoechuen, Orapin, Matta, F. B., Silva, J.L., and Holmes, W. E. 2007. Postharvest Survey of Volatile Compounds in Five Tropical Fruits Using Head Space-Solid Phase Microextraction (HS-SPME). HortSci.42: 309-314.
- Bosworth, B., Wolters, W., J.L. Silva, R.S. Chamul. 2006. Slush-Ice Storage of Catfish Carcasses. North Amer. J. Aquac. 68:99–102.
- Chou, C.H., J. L. Silva and C. Wang. 2006. Prevalence and typing of Listeria monocytogenes in catfish fillets. J. Food Prot. 69: 815-819.
- Stojanovic, J. and J.L. Silva. 2006. Influence of osmotic concentration, continuous high frequency Ultrasound and Dehydration of Properties and Microstructure of Rabbiteye Blueberries. Drying Technol. 24:165-171.
- Su, Ming-Shen, J.L. Silva. 2006. Antioxidant activity, anthocyanins, and phenolics of rabbiteye blueberry (Vaccinium ashei) by-products as affected by fermentation. Food Chem. 97: 447-451.
- Kim, T. and J.L. Silva. 2005. Quantification of attachment strength of selected foodborne pathogens by the bolt succession method. J. Rapid Mets Automation Micro. 13:127-133.
- Sindoni, M.J., F.B. Matta, J.L. Silva. 2005. Consumer preference of apples grown in Northern Mississippi. J. Miss. Acad. Sci. 50:177-182.
- Silva, J.L., Marroquin, E., F.B. Matta, J.O. Garner, J.Stojanovic. 2005. Physicochemical, carbohydrate and sensory characteristics of highbush and rabbiteye blueberry cultivars. J. Sci. Food Agric. 11:1815-1821.
- Bosworth, B., W. Wolters, J.L. Silva, R.S. Chamul, S.Y. Park. 2004. Comparison of production, meat yield, and meat quality traits of NWAC 103 line channel catfish (Ictalurus puctatus), Norris line channel catfish, and channel catfish female x blue catfish male (I. furctatus) F1 hybrids. North American Journal of Aquaculture. 66:177-183.