Faculty & Staff
J. Byron Williams, Ph.D., PAS
Assistant Extension/Research Professor
Office: 112 Herzer
- 2004 Ph.D. Mississippi State University
- 1981 M.S. Mississippi State University
- 1979 B.S. Mississippi State University
- 1976 A.A. Southwest Mississippi Junior College
- ADS 1114 Introduction to Animal Science and Labs (Scientific Farm Animal Production)
- GA 1111 Introduction and General Overview of Agriculture
- DS/FNH 4314/6314 Meats Processing and Labs (Selected Sections)
- NH 4593 Food Plant Management ( Selected Sections)
- DS/FNH 8423 Meat Science (Selected Sections)
- Enhancement of industry knowledge of processing technologies and product safety
- Development of value added muscle foods to enhance commodity product value
- Effects of new production practices on meat quality and consumer acceptability
- Sensory evaluation and acceptability of new and value added products
- American Registry Professional Animal Scientists
- American Meat Science Association
- Institute of Food Technologists
- Leick, C. M., J. M. Behrends, S. G. Solaiman, P. R. Broadway, B.R. Min, W. B. Mikel, J. B. Williams, and M. W. Schilling. 2012. Sensory properties and instrumental texture analysis of chevon patties from intact male Boer and Kiko goats harvested at four endpoints. Meat Science 91 (2012) 215-222.
- Williams, J.B. 2011. Book Chapter. Marination Processing Technology. Ch.27 in Handbook of Meat and Meat Processing. Y.H. Hui (Ed.). CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL. pp. 495-503.
- Bradley, E. M., Williams, J. B., Schilling, M.W., Coggins, P.C., Crist, C. Yoder, S. and Campano, S.G. 2010. Effects of sodium lactate and acetic acid derivatives on the quality and sensory characteristics of hot-boned pork sausage patties. Meat Science 88(1):145-160.
- Haque, Zahur U., Bohoua, Guichard L., Williams, J. Byron and Mikel, W. Benjy. 2010. Influence of whey peptides on the surface activity of Қ-casein and β-lactoglobulin A. International Journal of Dairy Technology 63(2):190-196.
- Haque, Z., Shon, J. and Williams, J.B. 2009. Efficacy of Sour Whey as a Shelf-life Enhancer: Use in Antioxidative Edible Coatings of Beef Steak. Journal of Food Quality, Vol. 32(2009):381-397.
- Battula, V., Schilling, M.W., Vizzier-Thaxton, Y., Behrends, J.B., Williams, J.B., Schmidt, T.B. 2008. The effects of low atmosphere stunning and deboning time on broiler breast meat quality. Poultry Science. 87:1202-1210.
- Pham, A.J., Schilling, M.W., Mikel, W.B., Williams, J.B., Martin, J.M., Coggins, P.C. 2008. Relationships between volatile flavor compounds, sensory descriptors, and consumer acceptability of American dry-cured ham. Meat Science 80:728-737.
- Pham, A.J.; Schilling, M.W.; Mikel, W.B.; Coggins, P.C.; Martin, J.M.; Williams, J.B. 2007. Relationships between sensory descriptors, consumer acceptability and volatile flavor compounds of American Dry-Cured Ham. Poster Presentation. 2007 Reciprocal Meats Conference, South Dakota State University, Brookings, South Dakota.
- Williams, J.B. 2007. Massaging/Tumbling versus injection. Shortcourse Presentation. 2007 Marination 101. Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS.
- Martin, J.M. and Williams, J.B. 2006. Effects of beef muscle type, with or without enhancement on pre-cooked value added roast beef. Oral Presentation and Abstract. Southern Section American Society of Animal Science. Orlando, FL.
- Williams, J.B. 2006. Instructor HACCP Training. Training Sessions: Identify CCP's and Establish Effective Record Keeping Procedures. Basic HACCP Training-Meat and Poultry Processing. Coordinated by Department of Food Science, Nutrition and Health Promotion and Mississippi State Extension Service.
- Williams, J.B. Jun. 05 Patent Application - Provisional submitted. "Process, Procedures and Formulation to Produce 97% Fat-Free ground Beef with preferred texture and flavor". Office of Intellectual Property and Technology Licensing. Mississippi State University.
- Williams, J.B. and Rogers, R.W. 2006 "The Comparison of Fat Replacer Systems in the Manufacture of Low-Fat Fresh Ground Beef Patties." Under revision and review to J. Muscle Foods. Pending patent disclosure process.