Why Come to Camp?
To provide an opportunity for children to be involved with food from the farm to the table.
- Become acquainted with food and food production
- Be exposed to new foods and flavors
- Utilize math skills through measuring
- Utilize reading skills to follow recipes
- Utilize time management and planning skills in meal preparation
- Understand importance of food safety
- Participate in games to promote learning and physical activity
Sylvia Byrd and local chefs along with nutrition graduate and undergraduate students from the Department of Food Science, Nutrition, and Health Promotion will lead the camp.
Children Entering 3rd - 6th Grade
What Does It Cost?
Camp costs $200 per child and includes tee shirt, meals, snacks, and field trips. Enrollment is limited to30 children with a June 7th deadline for registration.
- Introduction to the Kitchen and Cooking Utensils
- Measuring with Math
- Knife Skills
- Tour Food Processing Plant and Sensory Lab
- Introduction to Fruits and Vegetables
- Tour Garden
- Healthy Snacks
- Introduction to Breads & Cereals
- Tour of Animal Production Unit
- Introduction to Dairy
- Tour Cheese Plant & Dairy Farm
- Food Safety
- Introduction to Meats
- Tour Grocery Store
- Camp Graduation